Infectious Disease & Immunization
University of Iowa
Upper Midwest PERLC
Go to training host page. You will leave this site.
This course is intended for public health practitioners who need to increase their ability to effectively contain communicable diseases through quarantine and isolation.
- Identify which diseases are reportable under Iowa code and follow legal guidelines for reporting them
- Understand the legal definitions of quarantine, isolation, and public health disaster in Iowa
- Understand and use Iowa code to contain a communicable disease in a bio-emergency
- Identify who has jurisdiction to impose a quarantine
- Understand the key factors involved in the decision to call for a quarantine in a given situation
- Impose and enforce a quarantine using a process established by a local board of health, or assist the Iowa Department of Public Health in their efforts
- Recognize if a local board of health's process to quarantine conflicts with the process of the Iowa Department of Public Health
- List resources that can assist with issues of isolation, quarantine, and the containment of communicable disease
- contact and make appropriate use of them