Risk & Crisis Communication
University of Illinois
Emergency Public Information and Warning
Go to training host page. You will leave this site.
The CERC basic online training is designed to increase knowledge and develop competencies in crisis and emergency risk communication practices and strategies. Content is derived from lessons learned during public health emergencies and research in the fields of public health and emergency risk communication.
- Explain Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication (CERC) principles
- Describe the psychology of a crisis and the type of messages each audience needs
- Explain how to tailor messages
- Define core concepts of crisis communication planning
- Explain the roles of the media and spokesperson
- Describe the benefits of social media and mobile media devices
- Identify ways to develop relationships with stakeholders and partners